MOST READ Hamilton was fastest in 1 minute, 19.149 seconds, with Vettel only 0.051 behind.It was Hamilton’s 64th career pole and his third in five races this year, putting the three-time world champion in position to challenge Vettel for the series lead on Sunday. With two wins in four races, Vettel has a 13-point advantage over Hamilton in the standings.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnSPORTSBreak new ground“I think it is going to be a tough race for us, when you see how close it is between us — it is milliseconds,” Hamilton said. “It is a long run down the first turn, so it is important to get a good start.”Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas, who won the race in Russia, was third, followed by Raikkonen, setting the stage for another duel between the front-running teams. For Ina, portraying a zombie is like an ‘out-of-body experience’ View comments Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain steers his car during the qualifying session for the Spanish Formula One Grand Prix at the Barcelona Catalunya racetrack in Montmelo, Spain, Saturday, May 13, 2017. The Spanish Formula One Grand Prix will take place on Sunday. (Photo by MANU FERNANDEZ / AP)MONTMELO, Spain — Lewis Hamilton took pole position ahead of Sebastian Vettel at the Spanish Grand Prix, restoring Mercedes’ dominance in Formula One qualifying on Saturday.Hamilton gave Mercedes its 19th pole in 20 races, two weeks after F1 leader Vettel had broken its run at the Russian GP in a one-two with Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen.ADVERTISEMENT Gerald: Just because I’ve been bashed doesn’t mean I’d stop working Swing Out Sister back to PH this April With the new engine in place, Vettel’s car gave him a scare when he slowed down just two laps into qualifying, and his team ordered him to return to the garage. But the problem solved itself and Vettel continued on the track.“It wasn’t the ideal end, but considering the morning we had, I think it was a really good recovery,” Vettel said about his second-best time. “Yesterday, I wasn’t feeling the rhythm. Today it was better. In terms of performance, it will be really close.”Hamilton won at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in 2014, one of 10 different winners in as many years at the race often used by teams to bring major upgrades to their cars.So far, it looks like tweaks made by the title contenders have canceled one other out.Hamilton and Vettel both pointed to the unpredictable gusts of wind — in otherwise ideal sunny conditions — that have troubled drivers all weekend.Hamilton described how the same turn can be completely different to handle, depending on the wind.“It’s very gusty here. From corner to corner, sometimes you break in the same spot, but you tail off because of a tailwind. It was tricky for us,” Hamilton said.Vettel is also aware of the problem, saying “with the wind, you never know what to expect.” Max Verstappen, the 2016 winner at a record age of 18, and fellow Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo will start the race from fifth and sixth on the grid.McLaren’s Fernando Alonso bounced back from Friday’s breakdown during practice, making the third session of qualifying for the first time this year and finishing a season-best seventh, ahead of Sergio Perez of Force India and Felipe Massa in his Williams.It was a busy morning in the garages of both Mercedes and Ferrari, which had to replace engines.Bottas missed all but eight minutes of the third and final practice session earlier when two separate mechanical problems led to his team needing to replace his engine with the one used through the first four races.Ferrari also had to change the power unit of Vettel’s car following his precautionary stop in pit lane near the end of the third practice because of a “telemetry issue.”ADVERTISEMENT Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Trump’s impeachment defense, prosecutors dig in Despite 47-point win, Wright says Gilas ‘very sluggish’ in 2nd half Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Presidency bid needs ‘deep reflection’ – Sara Duterte LATEST STORIES China reports 17 new cases in viral pneumonia outbreak End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Ex-Bulacan town vice mayor, village chief shot dead Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next read more
ANSA McAL under its Stag brand is set to host “Stage 7 – The Ultimate J’Ouvert Experience” on February 22 at the National Park Tarmac; the night before Guyana’s 49th Republic anniversary.For the past three years, the National Park has been packed to capacity for this fun-filled event. It’s all paint, water and powder and can get “dutty” in a fun way. But what is a J’Ouvert party without entertainment.This year, Barbados soca sensation Lil Rick will be the headlining act, accompanied by some of Guyana’s best artistes. These include reigning Carib Soca Monarch, Brandon Harding; former Soca Monarch, Kwasi “Ace” Edmondson; Michelle “Big Red” King; and the versatile Heatwave Band, comprising Carvin Burnette.However, before the live performances, Deejays Father Moey and Rayvon, Shizzle, Energy, Anisah and Ryan will set the tone for a fantastic evening. Tickets for the event will not be on sale but rather persons can participate in the Stag promotion and win tickets.“Stage 7 – The Ultimate J’Ouvert Experience” will be hosted by radio personality Curtis “Casual” Armstrong.Sound, stage and lighting will be provided by Crown Vibes. read more
Let’s get right down to business. For those who may not be familiar with what the title means, here goes – an iron fist in a velvet glove. First off, it describes a style of doing or taking care of business. Whether in politics, foreign affairs, business relations, or on the street, a man who hides an iron fist in a velvet glove is a man with the diplomacy and tact to resolve things rationally, and the guts to unleash his iron fist when circumstance demands it. We are going to examine the two parts of this phrase and liken them to the unfolding situation at City Hall and the decisions taken there which are affecting the masses.Here we are yet again, facing another impending storm. There is talk that City officials are contemplating another move which will affect dozens of citizens and possibly disrupt their ability to earn a living. This is like throwing gas on an already smouldering flame. Already there is tension between City Hall and hundreds of vendors in Georgetown. Only a few nights ago a protest erupted in the Stabroek Market area. A part of it was captured on video and clearly shows one female being shoved and treated in an undignified manner. This is by no means acceptable.As we all know by now, we cannot just go running around shoving everyone who crosses our path because they oppose us. Severity is just one way to get things done. But when it is abused, it loses all impact.These issues are by no means secret and the situation continues to unfold in the public eye. Let us now shift our attention to the decision-makers. Clearly the Town Clerk, Mayor and other city officials will not win any popularity contests any time soon (at least not if the vendors have anything to say about it). What is also clear is that they seem impervious to the calls for dialogue, the criticisms over their actions and most importantly the cries of their fellow Guyanese brothers and sisters. These officials continue to wave their iron fists and expect the masses to accede. They wield the power, after all.Conversely, we have got to admit that harnessing power is a tricky thing, especially in a bureaucratic era of “communication strategies”. Gone are the days of making quick, cutthroat decisions and gone are the days of pounding an iron fist on your desk and insisting that it’s either your way or the highway. You cannot always be a war monger.During these times officials need to don that velvet glove. Sheath the iron fist.Here is where diplomacy, communication and flexibility come into play. Persuasive rhetoric and the willingness to listen are also useful tools the City officials can employ to resolve many of the existing issues. Maybe, just maybe, the persons who are being affected will have some meaningful suggestions on finding a middle ground and ending the impasse, if they are treated with respect and dignity.There has to be a better way. There is no way the City Officials can claim that they have exhausted every diplomatic angle. It is time the powers that be demonstrated that they possess the aptitude to make fair decisions, the alacrity to work with the people (especially those that voted fort them) and the astuteness to find reasonable solutions that will benefit all involved.The people will then come to trust their judgment, and the officials then will be able walk the line between tactful diplomacy and putting their foot down. This doesn’t make them weak; it reflects their strength as leaders.Clearly it will take balance to rule with an iron fist in a velvet glove. However, once the city officials find a way to rule gently but firmly, they will learn that the days of the iron fist are quickly fading. read more
On Wednesday morning, a 35-year-old Bourda Market vendor, Ras Paris, made his appearance before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts in relation to a recent case of trafficking in cannabis, which allegedly occurred on October 3, 2017 at North Ruimveldt, Georgetown.The unrepresented accused who is also a resident of the North Ruimveldt community, pleaded not guilty to the charge which alleged he trafficked 448 grams of cannabis.Remanded: Ras ParisThe State’s Prosecutor, even though posing a strong objection to bail on the basis of the prevalence, seriousness and penalty attached, made no mention of the pending or previous matters the accused has/had before the courts of Georgetown.In April of this year, Paris was released on $200,000 bail for a charge of trafficking in two pounds of cannabis. However, it is unclear whether the trail is ongoing or he was acquitted of the charge.According to Payne, the accused was busted red-handed by the Police with a black bag in his hand containing the suspected narcotic on the day in question.Nonetheless, Paris continues to maintain his innocence, claiming the narcotics were discovered in the upper flat of a building occupied by two other persons – present at the time of search – who were for reasons unknown “put away” by the Police, purporting to be mere scapegoats in the matter.Owing to the incomplete status of the file, the matter was adjourned to be heard on October 25. Meanwhile, bail was refused and the accused was remanded to prison until the next hearing. read more
CALGARY, A.B. – A $3.5-billion project to turn Alberta propane into plastic pellets for the manufacture of consumer products is to receive $49 million from the federal government.Ottawa says the money provided to Calgary-based Inter Pipeline Ltd. through the $1.6-billion Strategic Innovation Fund will help secure jobs and support the environmentally cleaner production of plastic products.The facility is already under construction in Strathcona County, just northeast of Edmonton, with completion scheduled for late 2021.- Advertisement -The company is to increase jobs for post-secondary students and women in trades while continuing to fund research and spending $10 million to find ways to reduce plastic waste.The Inter Pipeline project was given $200 million in provincial royalty credits in 2016, while Calgary-based Pembina Pipeline Ltd. was handed $300 million in credits for a similar proposal.Last month, Pembina announced it had decided with its partner, Kuwait’s Petrochemical Industries Co., to go ahead with a $4.5-billion polypropylene project also to be located northeast of Edmonton.Advertisement read more
Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp 1 Harry Redknapp has revealed Queens Park Rangers can only afford to bring in a striker on loan during the January transfer window.The Hoops are on the hunt for another forward to help ease the burden on current top scorer Charlie Austin.Redknapp’s side have been linked with a loan move for West Ham attacker Mauro Zarate, who has struggled to nail down a first-team spot at Upton Park.And Redknapp admits that if QPR do bring in reinforcements during the January transfer window then they will be loan signings.“We need to bring in players who can add to what we’ve got – we need more goals in the squad, but it’s loans only,” said Redknapp.“Everyone is looking for strikers so it will be tough in this window.” read more
GIVE THIS MAN AN OSCAR!AIK striker Mohamed Bangura couldn’t help but burst into laughter as Norrkoping defender Andreas Johansson flopped theatrically to the floor after receiving an “elbow” to the “face”.Check it out in the brilliant clip above!
Teenager striker Louie Barry scored his first goal for Barcelona’s youth team on his full debut on Sunday.The 16-year-old scored the fifth goal in the Spanish club’s 6-0 thrashing of Ebro Under-19s. Liverpool transfer news live: Mbappe latest, Lille star wants to join Reds in future statement Louie Barry scored 10 goals in five games for England’s Under-15s in a tournament last year rookie error Getty Images – Getty update Top scorer in 2019: Messi, Mbappe and Sterling trailing Europe’s top marksman 1 on target Chelsea fan arrested for allegedly racially abusing Heung-min Son targets Spurs investigation into alleged racial abuse of Rudiger is so far ‘inconclusive’ Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti appointed Goooooooaaaaaallllll @LouieBarry6!!! His first for Barça! And look how much it meant to him. Good lad 💪🏻 pic.twitter.com/W6J5j7DGlh— La Masia (@Youngcules) October 27, 2019The striker joined their famed academy over the summer from West Brom.He penned a three-year deal with Barcelona and was put into their Under-19 team while the Baggies received £235,000 compensation.West Brom were left raging at Barcelona after the Spanish club announced the signing of Barry before relevant paperwork was completed.According to reports at the time, the Baggies and the FA had yet to complete the paperwork required for him to play in Spain.Barry is the first English player to be incorporated into the Barcelona’s academy after impressing for the Midlands club. stalemate His debut had been held up because of an administrative delay as Barcelona tried to register the player.Barry took full advantage of his opportunity, though, as he finished from a tight angle at La Masia academy. LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff Strugglers Wigan hold Blackburn to goalless draw in Championship latest Ian Holloway thinks Arsenal have made a mistake in hiring Mikel Arteta He had reportedly had a medical with Paris Saint-Germain before the LaLiga giants stepped in at the last minute to convince him to join the their academy ranks.The teenager is also eligible to play for both England and the Republic of Ireland and has represented both nations at youth international level.He scored 10 goals in five games for England Under-15s during a tournament in Italy last year. read more
“Dandies, I’d just like to place on record my deepest thanks to the manager, staff, players and everyone involved at Aberdeen for giving me the opportunity to play for such a big club.“To all the fans I can’t thank you enough for the support you’ve given me over my six months at Pittodrie, from Kilmarnock to Kazakhstan your support has been amazing, you made my time at the club very special.”“I wish the club all the very best for the rest of the season and every success in future, keep standing free.“Once a Don always a Don.” Jurgen Klopp has explained how the call to bring Danny Ward back to Liverpool from Aberdeen was an “easy decision.”The goalkeeper has impressed for Derek McInnes’ side on loan this season, turning out 29 times for the Dons.Ward had signed for Aberdeen until the end of the season, but has been recalled by his parent club six months early.The 22-year-old is now expected to vie with Adam Bogdan for a place as Liverpool’s number two goalkeeper. “It was an easy decision because we watched the improvement and development of Danny at Aberdeen,” Klopp said.“It’s a moment where we have to make decisions about all the players, some of them are our players but are on loan.“In the case of Danny we thought it’s a good idea to get him back and that’s what we did.”The player himself took to Twitter to thank the Aberdeen support for their backing during his time at the club. read more
Celtic goalkeeper Scott Bain has signed a new four-year contract with the club.The stopper has extended his stay at Parkhead just a day after winger James Forrest also penned a new deal.Bain, 27, joined Celtic from Dundee last season after an initial loan spell, making his debut in a 3-2 win over Rangers at Ibrox.He ended the term as Celtic’s number one, although hasn’t played since suffering an injury earlier this season.
10 February 2020
20 January 2020
Powered By Impressive Business WordPress Theme